The following links and resource materials are a good jumping off place for educating yourself about special education law in Alabama. Please feel free to contact me if you know of any others that should be added to the list.
Special Education Law-Understanding Your Rights
- Mastering the Maze of the Special Education Process. Published by the Alabama Department of Education. This is a great overview of the entire special education process in Alabama.
- Khan Academy. With a library of over 3000 videos covering everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, and history and hundreds of skills to practice
- The Alabama Code. See this section of the Alabama code to find out what the schools are required to do for your special needs child.
- Alabama Department of Special Education web site.
- Alabama Special Education publications and court decisions.
- Alabama Early Intervention Services. Services that Alabama is required to provide for children (birth to 3 years) that have special needs.
- Alabama Parent Education Center. Good resource for general and special ed questions.
- Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program (ADAP). Information and advocacy services for Alabamians with disabilities.
Special Needs Applications
- Special Needs Apps for Kids. Compiled by Easter Seals Disability Services of Greater Houston.
- One Place for Special Needs. More apps!
- Birmingham Alabama Autism Support Group. Join in on a fabulous, on-going discussion about special needs and special education, and meet other parents who share your concerns and questions.
All About Autism